Thursday, May 26, 2016

Author Spotlight, Beverly Stowe McClure, on her award winning titles.



WHEN DID YOU FIRST KNOW YOU WANTED TO BE A WRITER AND WHY?:
When I saw how much my fifth-grade students enjoyed reading great books for fun and not just as an assignment, the writing bug bit me and I decided to try writing stories too. I hoped, through my stories, to help young readers discover that they were not alone in their troubles, and that there was hope in most situations.
​
AS A CHILD, WHAT DID YOU ASPIRE TO BE WHEN YOU GREW UP?
Either a ballerina or an opera singer.
​
HOW DID YOU GET THE IDEA FOR YOUR AWARD WINNING TITLE?
The idea for Star of the Team came to me while I watched my granddaughter play basketball and saw how competitive the girls were. For I Live in a Doghouse, one night a little voice whispered in my ear, "I live in a doghouse." I asked the voice "why?" And a story was born.
​
WHAT OTHER BOOKS HAVE YOU PUBLISHED? 
I have published twelve books to date; two of which are also CLC award winners:
​
WHICH AUTHOR HAS MOST GREATLY INFLUENCED YOUR WRITING STYLE?
Margaret Mitchell
​
WHAT BOOK HAS HAD THE GREATEST IMPACT ON YOUR LIFE?
Gone With the Wind
​
WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR GREATEST LITERARY ACCOMPLISHMENT?
Winning the CLC Awards, along with Sharp Writ and Next Generation Awards
​
HOW DID IT FEEL TO BECOME A PUBLISHED AUTHOR?
Becoming published is one of the highlights of my life, right after giving birth to my sons and marrying a wonderful man.
​
CAN YOU OFFER ANY ADVICE FOR WRITERS ON HOW BEST TO PROMOTE THEIR BOOK?
Try different things. If one promo effort doesn't work, there are a lot of other ideas. See what successful authors do. Make friends. Be friends. Help others.
​
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE YOU'D LIKE TO SHARE WITH OUR READERS?
Just enjoy and follow your heart.
​
DO YOU HAVE ANY NEW BOOKS IN THE WORKS?
Yes, I'm delighted to say that my latest YA novel Under a Purple Moon has just recently been released. It's the story of four teens helping each other survive their families and school. The novel will be available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, the publisher Dancing Lemur Press and just about everywhere.
​
I also have two Middle Grade novels due out in 2016. A Family for Leona, historical fiction about the Orphan Trains, loosely based on my mother's life, and Princess Breeze, sequel to Just Breeze.

LITERARY CLASSICS Book Awards & Reviews International Book Awards • Top Honors Youth Book Awards • Seal of Approval http://www.clcawards.org

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for an awesome review. I'm so happy to accept these awards and hope that my stories make a difference in the lives of children that read them.

    ReplyDelete